General Terms and Conditions
1. All applicants must be citizens of the USA, and must be enrolled full-time (students) or employed at least part-time (post-docs and faculty) at a college or university. Students graduating in the spring are eligible to apply. Students who are graduating before the start of their field research project should indicate their future study plans and how the field research fellowship will fit into those plans.
2. Student fellowship recipients must spend a minimum of 6 weeks or post-doctoral and faculty fellowship recipients must spend a minimum of 3 weeks in Mongolia conducting their research projects between May and October. Each student fellowship recipient must work with a Research Sponsor who will oversee their research work. Research Sponsors are generally faculty members or senior researchers with a track record of research project oversight. Well-designed research projects that demonstrate close collaboration between the student and Research Sponsor will be considered, even if the Research Sponsor is unable to travel to Mongolia. Preference will be given to projects where the Research Sponsor will be in the field for a substantial part of the student’s research work. US students may work with a Research Sponsor from either a US or Mongolian institution. Student applicants are encouraged to submit joint proposals with a post-doctoral or faculty applicant.
3. Post-doctoral and faculty fellowship recipients must work with a Mongolian Research Sponsor with relevant experience and skills to host and facilitate the research project. Post-doctoral and faculty applicants are encouraged to submit joint proposals with a student applicant.
4. Undergraduate applicants must have at least a third year standing in their program, while graduate applicants can be at a masters to doctoral dissertation level.
5. Post-doctoral and faculty applicants must teach at least part-time at a US university or college to be eligible for this program. The program priority is to support faculty from non-research intensive universities and colleges, especially faculty who are helping guide student research projects or who can show how the experience will enhance their teaching and outreach.
6. All applicants must complete their application online and attach supplementary materials, such as university transcripts, cv, and/or letter of support from the Research Sponsor. Applications must be received by the ACMS by February 15, 2023.
7. All applicants must be current members of the ACMS to be considered for the program.
8. All travel between the US and Mongolia that uses funds from the fellowship program must meet the provisions of the Fly America Act. Details about these provisions will be provided to Fellowship recipients.
9. A portion of the fellowship stipend will be withheld until the recipient submits their final report on their fellowship experience. The final report will include reflections on both the research conducted, and how the research experience is expected to impact future academic and career development.
10. Award recipients are responsible for paying all taxes related to their awards. The fellowship funds awarded are generally considered income in the United States and Mongolia, and therefore must be reported to the tax authorities. The ACMS bears no responsibility for withholding or remitting taxes related to these awards.
11. Award recipients are responsible for ensuring proper medical and evacuation insurance coverage during their time in the field in Mongolia. Proof of insurance coverage will be required before disbursement of fellowship funds.
12. The ACMS reserves the right to adjust the amounts and types of awards given under this program, as well as the general terms and conditions, before award agreements are reached with each recipient.
Your application is not saved until you click the "submit" button at the bottom of page, so you may initially work through the application without submitting the form to see all required data. It is advisable to prepare your data for the application in advance before submitting your complete application.
***Application Currently Ineligible***
Thank you for applying to this program, but currently only US citizens are eligible to receive US-Mongolia Field Research Fellowship awards. This is a condition set by the federal agency funding the program. Please check in future years to see if this condition changes.
Verify Joint Application
Students and faculty (or post-docs) may submit joint applications to this program. Each applicant must apply individually, but applicants intending to work together while in Mongolia should note this in their applications.
(Note: joint applications still require each applicant to apply individually. This question is for matching of joint applications for review purposes. Joint applications are not required).
(First and last name).
(This should be the joint applicant's project title. You will provide your project title later in the application process. Note: it is acceptable for both applications to have the same title if applicable).
Applicant Personal Data
Please provide information about yourself.
(Choose the one option that best describes your current academic status).
(E-mail to be contacted at about this application).
Begin with current academic program in progress or last completed, and include previous completed studies beginning at the undergraduate level
Proposed Research Project
Please describe your proposed research project.
(A short descriptive title for your proposed research project).
MM slash DD slash YYYY
MM slash DD slash YYYY
Please include the name, title, institutional affiliation and contact address, telephone and email for the Research Sponsor for your project. All proposed projects require a research sponsor. For students this must be a US or Mongolian faculty member (joint applicants may be listed here) or supervisor at a Mongolian institution. For faculty members this must be a counterpart at a Mongolian institution.
(First and Last)
Project Proposal, Personal Statement, and Budget
Please copy and paste the text of your project proposal, personal statement, and budget in the fields below.
A personal statement of up to 500 words that explains the applicant’s interest in participating in the program, background, and experience and how the experience supported by the program fits into a longer term interest in Mongolia.
A research statement of up to 500 words that details the type of research to be conducted and its importance to fields of study related to Mongolia. Please also indicate the source and dollar value of any support you have applied for or been notified you will receive for your research work in Mongolia.
(Note: you must be a current member of the ACMS to receive a fellowship award).
You may upload your letter here OR you may also ask your referee to email the letter directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confirm Application Data
***Final Step of Application***
Note: This is the final step of the application. Your data will not be saved until you click the "submit" button below.
Before submitting your application, be sure to verify that this application is accurate and truthful to the best of your knowledge. Applicants who knowingly submit false or inaccurate applications are automatically disqualified from the US-Mongolia Field Research Fellowship Program.
1 thought on “field research fellowship 2023”