Sustainable Architectural Research Assistant – Job Opportunity
FULBRIGHT – The Fulbright Program, is an American scholarship program of competitive, meritbased
grants for international educational exchange for students, scholars, teachers, professionals,
scientists and artists, founded by United States Senator J. William Fulbright in 1946. Under the
Fulbright Fellowship Program, competitively selected American citizens conduct research and exercise
their talents abroad; and citizens of other countries may qualify to do the same in the United States of
America. The program was established to increase mutual understanding between the people of the
United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. It is
considered to be one of the most widely recognized and prestigious scholarships in the world.
GERHUB – GerHub is a nonprofit social enterprise that seeks to find innovative and creative solutions
to some of the most pressing issues in the ger areas of Ulaanbaatar. We partner with top universities
and institutions globally in the fields of architecture, design, and engineering. Our current projects
focus on researching and developing ways to affordably modify and modernize the Mongolian ger to
meet the housing needs of ger area residents.
ECOTOWN – EcoTown is a grassroots community collaborative NGO that has come together to
transform our community into model sustainable Mongolian community for the developing world. We
are based in city of Ulaanbaatar, the most polluted city in the world where air pollution level are 80
times higher than the recommended safety level set by World Health Organization. In Ulaanbaatar’s
city of 1.3 million, we lose 550 children between age of 0-5 due to air pollution related illness.
Because we desperately need urgent change, our NGO is now focusing on finding low cost – high
impact solutions to reduce air pollution.
So our idea is to bring about change through grassroots initiatives, through the combined
forces of concerned community members who want to collaborate together to produce results. Our
belief is that if as citizens we work together through small projects and initiatives, we can steadily
create progressive solutions for the ger districts. In developing pilot projects through our own
collaborative initiatives, we hope to create neighborhoods that are prosperous and sustainable
community governed by citizen’s participation with liquid democracy. If our community collaborative
continues to be a successful model, we believe it could become a model grassroots community for
other ger district communities to follow suit.
MISSION & OBJECTIVES
The Research Assistant will assist the Fulbright Research Fellow, in coordinating all project activities
and in particular with EcoTown and GerHub on the field. She/he will also provide support to experts
during their missions and help them navigate the different components of the project.
Under the support of the Fulbright Research Fellow and in coordination with project partners GerHub
and EcoTown, the Research Assistant will be responsible for the following activities:
• Strong English and Mongolian written and verbal communication skills
• Develop a written Mongolian description of the project
• Helping purchase and keep track of architectural materials and project timeline
• Maintaining relationships built with a variety of NGOs and businesses geared towards solving
air pollution problems in the ger districts
• Helping to conduct interviews and needs assessment of local community members
• Help develop grant proposals to support future energy efficient construction projects: such as
kindergartens or individual homes.
The Research Assistant will support the following activities:
• Contribute to project planning
• Support community engagement for solution selection
• Support energy efficient solutions and practices disseminations
• Support overall project management
• Support monitoring of the project’s results indicators
• Support Development and dissemination of a comprehensive package of tools for
replication and scale-up
• Support Mid-term Review and Final Evaluation
Education & Training
• Bachelors degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Energy Efficiency,
Renewable energy, or Communications preferred
• At least 2 years in the Green Building or Energy Efficiency sector or
• Knowledge in Low-energy consumption building, energy-efficiency
and renewable energy systems
• Demonstrated experience in project or organization management
Knowledge of energy efficiency market
• Experience of research and development and related good practice
• Appreciated: experience in the development sector or working with
• Appreciated: Building Energy Modelling and Measurement
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to establish contact with people
from different background and cultures
• Excellent English and Mongolian Written and verbal communication
• Precision in work, follow-up and report writing;
• Organization and attention to detail especially meeting deadlines
• Proficient in working with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel and
• Driving licence-B type
• Status: 4 months, renewable
• Salary: Salary is negotiable depending on experience.
• Position based in Ulaanbaatar with regular field trips to Gers areas.
This conditions only applies for Mongolian national status.
Contact Kim Dupont-Madinier at firstname.lastname@example.org